Opera Scotland

Grand Theatre, Glasgow Glasgow

Initially known as the Milton Colosseum, then as the Prince of Wales Theatre, it reopened as the Grand on 19 September 1881. Its operation continued until it was destroyed by fire on the night of 5 September 1918. Rebuilt as the New Grand Picture House, this last was demolished in 1966 and the street itself disappeared in the major redevelopment of the area.

More information and pictures can be found on the website arthurlloyd.co.uk and on the Glasgow cinema site. In addition, see Glasgow Theatres and Music Halls: a Guide by Marianne R. Hay, publication number 15 (1980) in the Glasgow Room of the Mitchell Library.  Hay gives the address as 190 Cowcaddens Street.

Contact Details

Address

118, Cowcaddens Street
Glasgow

© Copyright Opera Scotland 2019

Site by SiteBuddha