Opera Scotland

Royalty, Glasgow Glasgow

Built in 1879, the Royalty was sited on the corner of Sauchiehall Street and West Nile Street.   Later it became the Lyric.  When that was demolished, St Andrews House was built. and this in turn was converted into an hotel in 2011.

According to Glasgow Theatres and Music Halls: a Guide (1980), by Marianne R. Hay, (Publication No15 in the Glasgow Room of the Mitchell Library), the Royalty was opened on 24 December 1879 and continued until 1959.   It could hold 1432 seated, and 16 standing according to Hay.

Contact Details

Address

58 Sauchiehall Street
Glasgow

G1 2RN

© Copyright Opera Scotland 2019

Site by SiteBuddha