Opera Scotland

Her Majesty's Theatre, Aberdeen Aberdeen

Opened 19 December 1872.

Design: Charles J Phipps & James Matthews.

Original capacity: 1744.

Her Majesty's Opera House, conveniently placed opposite the railway station, served the city and surrounding area as its principal theatre for over thirty years, by which time its limited capacity was no longer adequate. In 1906 His Majesty's Theatre, another hugely attractive, but larger, building opened, and the old theatre became used as a variety house in succession to the Alhambra. In May 1910 it reopened as the Tivoli Music Hall.

Since then it has also operated as a Bingo hall and has lain derelict for some years. Most of the original features survive, and this potentially very attractive venue is slowly undergoing restoration.

 

Scottish Premieres:

Merry Wives of Windsor (Otto Nicolai 1877)

Contact Details

Address

Guild Street
Aberdeen

© Copyright Opera Scotland 2019

Site by SiteBuddha